So as I continue to push my body and mind, what's happening to my body? A head to toe analysis follows:
1. I'm a little concerned about my hair. Washing it 2x/day can't be good, but I can't imagine leaving all that nasty sweat in it after class. Will condition vigilantly.
2. My face is not breaking out nearly as much as others (I'm certain age has something to do with that), but I feel like the humidity is helping reduce wrinkles. That's a plus!
3. Sinuses are clogged up a bit, partly because I'm inhaling my own sweat on the downward postures. I mentioned before I sweat a lot -- I'd love to measure the amount of water that comes off of my body during class.
4. Shoulders, arms and legs are starting to get fairly defined. And my butt is tightening up! Wahoo!! I'm still not very flexible, in fact I'm tight as hell in the morning classes, but I do feel pretty strong. And that's a good feeling.
5. Losing weight in the middle. Those of you who know me know I'm fairly thin most of the time, but I did pack on a few extra pounds over the summer. Turns out that was the right thing to do as I'm using that extra fuel now. Emmy said the other day that people who don't have any extra body fat use up their reserves in about 60 minutes, which leaves them bonking for the last 30-45 minutes of class. I don't have that to use as a reason to take a knee, but hopefully I will soon!
6. Knees are sore. Not really my knees, it's more like the tendons that attach to the patella. Robert, the super amazing yogi from Amsterdam told me to lean back more during pada hastasana. I tried it at the pool after class this morning, and it seemed to help. I will do everything I can to avoid an injury.
7. Feet are also sore. No athletes foot yet, and that's a true blessing. There are a lot of people here with some funky stuff going on with their feet, and given the humidity, it's not surprising. Before the evening lecture I spray anti-fungal on my feet and put on socks. Hopefully that will keep the buggies away.
That's it for body. I'll address my mind in another posting. I need to take a nap.