Saturday, October 11, 2008

Four Weeks DONE!!!

The internet's been down (and then up for about 5 minutes and then down again) in the Princess tower where my room is located.  So I'm in the lobby of the hotel on the wireless system.  Here's what I wrote yesterday:

What a week. Except for during very obvious trauma in the past, this was probably one of the most challenging weeks of my life. Complete lack of sleep (and we all know how much I love my sleep), physical and emotional strain, and pressure to memorize and deliver the dialogue in a satisfactory manner.

I have to admit, despite my communication training, I lost it on thursday and after attempting to simply wing it on balancing stick posture, my chin started to do that little wiggle thing and tears streamed down my face. I wasn’t embarrassed as much as I was exhausted. But today, with even less sleep, I was able to do my best posture – separate standing leg stretching.

Memorizing this dialogue and delivering it is VERY VERY different than speaking ad lib or to a ppt presentation. I’ve presented in front of hundreds of people, but this is actually harder --- at least for me – because I’ve never been one to speak in a precise manner (writing is another matter). Now is the opportunity to do just that. As long as I get the words down, the delivery will be fine. In fact, I’m pretty confident that many of the people who are struggling with the dialogue will probably be better instructors because they won’t just let it roll off the tip of their tongues, they will own it.

Tempers are fraying, women and men are breaking into tears, this is the breaking down point and it may continue into next week, but soon, very soon, will be the building up. And it still won’t be easy, but it will be better.

This weekend, we have the opportunity to go on a guided tour of Acapulco, but my only objectives are to learn at least 4 postures well, and to get myself a real massage. Maybe a pedicure too. My toes are looking fairly nasty. Aren’t you glad I shared?

Compared to others, though, I’m holding up fairly well. There are people here who are suffering from very bizarre ailments. Pinched nerves that lead to strange eye ticks, extensive cramping leading to IV fluids, and there’s a woman here who cries during every yoga class. That’s not right – she doesn’t cry, she WAILS. Loudly. It’s a great exercise for her. I don’t know her well, but she agrees that it’s a great opportunity to purge a lot of emotions and I have to admire her for not holding it in and just going for the release.  It’s all part of the process and the relationship between physical pain and emotional pain and yoga is an interesting concept to explore. More on that later.

Love to all.

8:00 pm FRIDAY UPDATE: Well! Bikram offered us a deal in 5pm yoga class. If no one – and that meant NO ONE --- took a knee or left the room, then we’d have the evening off. We’re a tight group of people and no one wanted to let the group down, so we all did a really great job, knowing that the reward would be a good night’s sleep and a little free time. Personally I had a great class, and I can happily report that I looked pretty good in the mirror. Meaning that yes, I’ve shed much of that extra layer and my poses are starting to come together. Even the balancing poses.

So after class I took a dip in the pool, enjoyed some unexpected fireworks right above our heads (the president of Mexico is here, but I'm not sure if that was the reason for the show), and now I’m going to dinner with my buddy Sunny. Then it’s an EARLY night in preparation for our last yoga class of the week tomorrow morning. Whew!!!!

1 comment:

bubblestnk said...

Hey Goose! Thanks for the phone call on my birthday, it was great hearing your voice. I am so proud of you...you are an inspiration. Keep up the great work.