Monday, November 10, 2008

The Last Week

Spent most of the weekend sleeping.  Talked to my dear friend Eileen, and she said that when you're dehydrated enough to require IV fluids, it takes a few days to come back up to speed.  So I don't feel so bad about the volume of sleep I've had.  Did go into town with my buddy Mark on Saturday night.  Bought a new pair of jeans, which are already too big (not because I've shrunk, but because the jeans have stretched), and we had a great dinner in the old part of town.  A giant meat, fish and vegetable kabob, rice, and some kind of slaw for 100 pesos (about $7.50).  A very different price than what we've been paying here at the Fairmont.  While we were enjoying our meal on the patio upstairs, there was a birthday party going on at the building next door --- they played musical chairs and had a pinata.  It was so heartwarming and beautiful.  

Then we walked a way and took a cab home.  Yesterday, Sunday, the last Sunday I'll spend here, I again slept for most of the day but made sure to go to the beach for sunset.  I love it here at the end of the day.  It's still warm out, easily warm enough to swim in the waters and the sunsets are spectacular.  Ended up talking with Ivan from Croatia, and he's from an Island close to Split, where I've been and knows Plitvice, one of the most beautiful places in all of Europe.  It was an interesting and eye opening conversation.  Ivan is a very thought provoking fellow.  We enjoyed the sunset together, talked until way past dark and then I returned for a shower, a little food, some study of dialogue and then another long sleep.  This one was filled with strange dreams, I guess that's what happens when you get enough sleep.  I finally feel rested.

Good news!!!  Diane, the instructor from Boston whom EVERYONE loves is back!!!   I hear that this week will again be a rough one, but at least with Diane on campus, we'll have some interesting and fun conversations.  I would love to work with her, who knows.  

Ok, time to get ready for another day.  

2 comments:

thedancingj said...

Diane went back?? AWWWW, cool, I didn't know she was doing that! Makes me happy just to see her name here! She was my teacher/coach at home in Boston until I moved 2 months ago and is one of my favorite people ever. If u get a chance tell her Juliana is reading your blog and give her a big hug from me. :-D ENJOY YOUR LAST WEEK!!

J :)

Anonymous said...

Goose, thanks so much for the phone call, it was great to hear your voice. Can't wait to hear all about your adventure when you get back. Keep strong and most importantly keep healthy this next week. xxoo