Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Land of 11,842 Lakes

WROTE THIS SEVERAL DAYS AGO - BUT JUST GOT IT ALL POSTED.  SORRY FOR THE DELAY. 

Greetings from Minneapolis, Minnesota!  This place is a series of contrasts. On the day I arrived, Mark brought me to the classic Nye’s Polonaise room, which was, I’m certain, quite the fashionable place to be in its day. It’s still crowded and there’s karaoke, of a sort, at this place, you get to sing the classics with the piano player. That’s in the main room, the room next door has the famous 
“most dangerous polka band in the world.” I think the only danger they have now is of falling off their chair. Or maybe getting gummed to death by the accordion player. I’m pretty sure she forgot to put her teeth in before show time. But then right down the street there was the place where Prince became famous and the more modern places are packed too.
Donja know now that the people here sound a lot like that movie, “Fargo.” Prairie Home Companion is produced right down the street, and at the gas station the other day, the guy behind the counter said to Mark about me that, “that girl doesn’t talk English like we do.” But the Walker art museum has a beautiful collection, and the architecture and town design is fabulous. People here are very progressive, recyclers, and kind of granola-ey. It’s fascinating!
Went shopping at the Mall of America, but I also stopped at the jam packed Wedge food co-op for some supplements and free range chicken.  
We’ve been having a spectacular Indian summer. 
The days and even nights are warm, and the beauty of the place is certainly enticing, but when Mark mentioned that there are days in the winter that are 30 below ZERO, the decision is easy and I will certainly be gone before I experience that contrast! The city is truly a tease – Friday night we at outside at a really nice Cuban restaurant, but finally, tonight, I can feel the cold air just waiting to blow in.

Mark and I went to training together and are fast friends. We went camping for a few days on the bluffs by the Mississippi river. Strange that I’ve seen the last part of the river before it flows into the gulf, and now I’ve been to nearly the start of it! We just went for a quick trip and didn’t pack a lot of food, so for dinner we went into the nearest town for food. Had a hell of a time finding a suitable restaurant (meaning not fast food), and finally ended up finding a Mexican place that looked ok. Here’s the irony – it was called, “Chula Vista!” It was nearly a year ago to the date that we had our first meal at the Chula Vista in training. Gotta say, the Fairmont Acapulco restaurant was much better than the one in Minnesota. After a good night’s sleep and a great morning hike, we packed up the camper. Unfortunately, the campsite was on quite a slope, and when I tried to saddle up the camper to the trailer hitch, I bingled it and lost the camper – 
it started rolling down the hill and nearly went over a cliff – despite attempts by both me and Mark to slow it down and stop it! It ended up hitting a small barrier (probably designed just for that) and the treacherous drop was avoided. I laughed like crazy at the escapade, Mark was a little rattled.
I’ve taught twice here and practiced a lot more than that. It’s been wonderful to see Martha’s studio – she is very well known as a passionate and excellent senior teacher. I took her class once, and even though she is 8 months pregnant, she still kicked my ass. She has an amazing “you can do it” attitude, and an incredible ability to withstand the heat and humidity despite 
her condition. She is a great teacher.
So is Mark. He has great passion, and compassion. I love his energy, his humor, and his ability to get people to go beyond their expectations. His practice has improved considerably and he looks strong as well. I’m very impressed.

We went to see a movie made locally called, “Into Temptation.” Mark wanted to see it as there’s a woman in 
the movie who practices at the studio. I wasn’t exactly too thrilled with the idea of what I thought was a movie about prostitution and sex shops. But it wasn’t really about that at all – it was about redemption in a way and it was so well done, I was crying at one point. If they end up doing a
 nationwide release, go see it. Or rent it on Netflix. See? That’s what I’m talking about – contrasts. This place is full of them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there! I realize this is kind of off-topic howeveг I needеd to asκ.
Dоes operаting a ωеll-established websіtе suсh
as уоurs гequire a maѕsive amount work?
Ι'm completely new to writing a blog however I do write in my diary everyday. I'd like to staгt a blog ѕo
I сan share mу expеrience and ѵіews onlinе.
Plеase lеt me knоw іf you havе anу κind οf suggestions or tips for bгand new aspiгing blog owneгѕ.
Apρreciatе it!

Feel free to surf to my webѕitе ... facebook cuenta gratis